The history of this congregation begins in 1875 when Captain J. E. Pietzsch moved to the area from Brenham; at that point, the town of Bartlett did not yet exist. Initially, pastors from Taylor and Waco travelled to the area to lead services that met in his home. This arrangement continued for approximately two years until a small building that served as both a school and church was constructed.
In 1881, the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad (MKT, or Katy Line) surveyed the area for a new rail line, and Pietzsch and John Bartlett began the sale of lots in the town that would bear the name of the latter. In 1882, the rail line through town was completed, and the following year a pastor was called from the Texas Synod and the congregation was formally organized. The following year, the land on which the school and church building stood was deeded to the congregation by Bartlett for the sum of one dollar. In 1896, the congregation built a handsome white frame church building, and in 1932, the present building was dedicated.
In 1896, the congregation built a handsome white frame church building that served the congregation until 1931; the Texas Synod met in this building in 1897 and 1908. By 1928, the church’s active membership was double the seating capacity of the original building, and the decision was made to replace it; in 1931, the building was dismantled, and some of the lumber was used to build a private home near the church. In 1932, the present building was dedicated.
History (St. John Web Site)